Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tutorial two - Occupational Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging

Doing
View more PowerPoint from jai090909

The chosen occupation that I focused on was arts and crafts. Crafts are defined as "Skill in doing or making something, as in the arts” (The Free Dictionary, 2008). Arts are defined as “The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture” (Google, n.d.). I chose this occupation due to the fact I had been helping with arts and crafts in my fieldwork setting. I was placed in a rest home and hospital and had been taking the elderly residents for weekly arts and crafts.

"The concept of doing includes purposeful, goal-orientated activities; doing has been the traditional preoccupation of occupational therapy" (Hammell, 1998a). For example, Image 2 in my PowerPoint is showing doing. To the residents at the rest home and hospital where I was doing fieldwork, this was purposeful. Doing is also goal orientated, for example Image 6 on the PowerPoint shows a paint brush and paint, the goal of this would be to complete the painting by the end of the 3 hour session.

Hammell, 1998a states "being has been defined as time taken to reflect, be introspective or meditative, and to be appreciative of art, music and nature". Image 8 on my PowerPoint represents the young children being appreciative of art, by going to the museum. Another example is image 9, which shows a card being handed to another person, this shows that the person receiving the card is appreciative of the time and effort that went into making the card.

Rebeiro, 2001 used the term belonging" to describe the necessary contribution of social interaction, mutual support and friendship, and the sense of being included, to occupational perfromance and life satisfaction". Image 3 is a good picture of to belong, it shows the two elderly people smiling and being happy, they are enjoying each other’s company while doing the art and crafts and both feel included and are getting social interaction at the same time.

"Becoming describes the idea that people can envision future selves and possible lifes, explore new opportunities and harbour ideas about who or what they wish to become over the course of their biographies and how their lives might be experienced as worthwhile" (Hammell, 1998a). Image 21 is to show that elderly people need to have something to do; they thrive on keeping busy and having meaningful occupations.

The three ethical considerations that I made in relation to my images were informed consent, authenticity of online material and using appropriate photos. I made sure when I took my own 5 images, which I had permission from the person who would be in the background. I tried to keep people out of the images as much as I could. When I used the pictures of the internet, I made sure that it was all referenced so that the person who had originally taken the photo gets the credit they deserve for the photo they took. Also before I took the photos off the website I checked the authenticity of the website, and where it was from. This gives me a good clue whether it was going to be a good image to use. Most of the images that I chose where from rest homes or hospitals who do the same arts and crafts as the fieldwork placement that I was placed at. I only used appropriate photos which were relevant to the topic I was doing. You don’t want to do anything that would cause physical or emotional harm to your subjects.

References

Google. (n.d.). Define art. Retrieved from https://www.google.co.nz/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=define+arts&oq=define+arts&aq=f&aqi=g4&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3
..0l4.940l2294l0l2335l11l8l0l0l0l0l533l1346l31j1j1l3l0.cgsbsh.1.&pbx=1&bav=
on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=55701810e0867ce3&biw=1366&bih=587

Hammell, K.W. (1998a). From the neck up : Quality in life following high spinal cord injury.Vancouver, BC: The University of British Columbia, Unpublished doctoral disseration.

Reberio, K.L., Day, D., Semeniuk, B., O'Brien, M., & Wilson, B. (2001). Northern initative for social action: An occupational based mental health programme. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 55, 493,500.

The Free Dictionary. (2008). Craft - definition. Retrieved from
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/craft

No comments:

Post a Comment